Me Before You Part II

Toward the end of my time in the Maneater photo department, there was a push for incorporating video and long-form pieces. I, being ever so inspired by the New York Times mulitmedia section, was determined to start that trend for the paper.

I wanted to do something meaningful and when I saw that the Transgender Empowerment and Awareness week was coming up, I was eager to cover it.

Without any initial plan or angle, I went to each day's events. shooting photos, gathering b-roll and interviewing a variety of subjects.

At the end of the week I had an immense accumulation of aimless footage and interviews that I scraped together (still not knowing anything about scripting). I crafted a flowing story, stitched with photos and the main video.


Fast forward several months to my second convergence team story. Our pitches were due around the time Alpha Chi Omega's nationals released new by laws outlining that transgender women could join the sorority. I was inspired once agin.

I knew the topic well, at least for being a cis gender woman, and was determined to do a transgender story of some capacity.

Once we steered the pitch clear of greek life, it was set and approved.

Although the main video is shorter than my previous Maneater one, it tells a much larger narrative.

Convergence gives context, structure and focus. That is the difference. See for yourself.


Comments

Popular Posts