After a few wishy-washy weeks of planning, my three best friends miraculously made it to Mizzou for a visit.  All that was left was figuring out how to entertain them. That struggle started before their arrival. 

Saturday was the Black and Gold football scrimmage and students got in for free. So the search for look-alike IDs began. To preface, Sarah is black, Zoda is mixed and Olivia is Peruvian woman. The last two figured the ID situation out on their own. It was Sarah that took some work. 

Zoda, who goes to KU had an entire network of people in the black greek system to ask. Me, well I could count my close colored friends here on one hand. That was the first time I realized how secluded my interaction is with the black community.

When we started running into trouble finding someone's flimsy piece of plastic to borrow, Olivia asked, "Aren't there black girls in your sorority who wouldn't mind?" 

Sarah and I laughed because we understood. Olivia didn't get it until she actually stepped foot into my house. 

In the end, we couldn't find one for Sarah which made me take a step back and look at the circle of people surrounding me. Perhaps an adjusted group is what I should actually be searching for. 




Comments

Popular Posts